- Job Type: Full-Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Global Rights is an international human rights capacity-building non-governmental organization (NGO). Global Rights was founded in Washington DC, USA in 1978 with the name International Human Rights Law Group and changed its name to Global Rights: Partners for Justice in 2003 at its 25th anniversary. Global Rights works with local activists in Africa, Asia, and Latin America to promote and protect the rights of marginalized populations. We provide technical assistance and training to enable local partners document and expose human rights abuses, conduct community outreach and mobilization, advocate for legal and policy reform, and provide legal and paralegal services.
The Senior Development Officer will work with the Executive Director to design strategies for global organizational development.
New Business and Organizational Development – 70%
- Work with the Executive Director to support Global Rights growth and influence in the fulfilment of its critical mission.
- Develop and implement strategies that align with Global Rights Strategic Plan, to seek and develop new donor relationships, and ensure strategic branding and positioning approaches by the technical teams.
- Develop a strategic growth plan Oversee the early information gathering stages to qualify organizational development opportunities.
- Leverage opportunities for the organization and its organs to carry out the various elements of its visibility and branding plan.
- Analyze, donor trends, quality of successful proposals and proposal development pursuits to identify trends and promote best practices in future business development.
- Strategize the adoption of Global Rights supported approaches/methodologies and structures to develop technical responses to diverse funding agencies/donor proposals.
- Review proposals throughout the development process with an emphasis upon ensuring compliance and structure of the response.
- Serve as a technical proposal writer and/or editor (for any and all evaluation sections) as needed
- Support the proposal development budgets.
- Carry out after-action reviews and analyses for any unsuccessful proposals.
- Support internal requests for information related to Global Rights business development activities.
- Assist in the maintenance of external relationships, particularly with partners, donors, and the media.
- Capture, document and disseminate iconic human-interest narratives from Global Rights’ work or influence.
- Contribute to the implementation of Global Rights’ Annual Operating Plan, calendar of events, organizational databases, and all records and reports for Global Rights, program stakeholders, and funders.
- Conduct research and analysis of data in relation to the alignment and success of organisational goals, including identifying lessons learned and developing critical feedback on implemented programs.
- Strategize the deepened impact and continuity of its thematic areas including Human Security and Access to Remedies, Equitable Resource Governance, Security and Human Rights, as well as Women’s Rights and Gender Equity.
- Engage in regular assessments consultations with partners to increase Global Rights’ sphere of influence, and to enhance the capacity of grassroots organizations to promote and advocate human rights in Nigeria.
Program – 30%
- Provide support to the organization’s thematic areas, especially the Security and Human Rights programs
- Support the implementation of capacity-building and advocacy projects.
- Assist Program team identify needs gaps and make recommendations for the training and technical support to partner NGOs in project states.
- Collaborating with Executive Director/supervisor to design and facilitate trainings and other capacity building program activities for local NGOs and communities.
- Collaborating with Executive Director/supervisor to design, research, write and edit practical publications for wide distribution to stakeholders.
- Providing the Communications Unit with content for social media and other external communication platforms
- Collaborating with Executive Director/supervisor to administer and monitor sub-grant programs to partner organizations.
- Representing Global Rights at meetings and forums as assigned by the Executive Director/supervisor.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of Five (5) years of knowledge and/or experience working with human rights organizations
- Understanding of natural resources governance, gender and development issues in Nigeria
- Strong communication and report writing skills
- Proven project management skills in complex, multi-faceted projects
- Demonstrable ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to provide practical solutions within set deadlines.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Commitment to Continuous Learning