- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 1 – 2 years
- Location: Borno
- City: Maiduguri
- Job Field: NGO
These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including by focusing on equitable access to basic services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees. In addition to the Country Office and the above-mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-office structures in Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Communication Technical Assistant to join our team in Maiduguri, Borno State. You will assist in the day-to-day running of Health Safety, security, and Centre for Monitoring and Communications (CMC) on shift basis (day and night) by following the requirements set out in the CMC Standard Operating Procedures to enable safe monitoring and tracking of all staff, visitors and consultants of NR offices.
- Adhere to NRC Employee policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines, uphold humanitarian principles.
- Contribute to the attainment of HSS strategy by ensuring staff are kept informed on a timely manner by issuing/distributing security information on the available mediums and conducting security briefings.
- Assist with the implementation NRC’s HSS Policies and guidelines through contributing in the enforcement of existing Contingency Plans and SOPs.
- Participate in all relevant HSS trainings and capacity building
- Prepare and develop daily situation reports as required share with the supervisor
- Ensure proper filing of HSS documents taking into consideration confidentiality.
- Work closely and liaise with other Core Competencies (CC) and other Support sectors to integrate CMC services to facilitate NRC Program activities.
- Monitor and track all NRC staff travels and movements in Borno, Adamawa, Plateau State, including travels across mission filed office in the North East, and other parts of Nigeria.
- Ensure that all staff traveling to field locations are issued with a working and fully charged communication device.
- Track the issuance of all communication devices and ensure that they are safely kept in good working conditions.
- Log in all daily travels/movements in the CMC communication log sheet.
- Installation of communication devices and conduct regular repairs and necessary.
- Support with installation of new CCTV or fire alarm systems and carry out regular maintenance and upgrades.
- As assigned by the Supervisor, will conduct regular check on all electronic and monitoring devices and report any faults for further action.
- Work closely on a daily basis with Field Coordinators and Security Focal Persons (SFP) to conduct staff headcounts and submit report to the Supervisor.
- Coordinate with NRC Logistics to ensure that vehicles are assigned on a timely manner to facilitate airport pick-ups and drops off. This also includes coordinating vehicles dispatch assigned to expat staff in the evening and over the weekends.
- Receive all phones calls from NRC staff and professionally respond to their queries and disseminate accurate information as required.
- Draft security alert messages and share with HSS Coordinator for review before disseminating to all staff.
- Draft and share Daily media scan with the HSS Coordinator for further dissemination.
- Assist in monitoring open source channels (TV, radio, social media, etc) to collate and flag relevant information and update the CMC Team Leader.
- Assist in training and retraining staff on the CMC operations and use of communications devices during visits to the field.
- Assist and Support the HSS Team in managing emergency incidents through communicating with various sources and taking up additional responsibilities as might be assigned by the HSS coordinator.
Professional knowledge and experiences:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to fluently communicate in English (spoken & written).
- Understanding and speaking of local language in Borno is mandatory.
- Basic and advance computer skills is mandatory (MS Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook).
- Technical skills and training in installations, maintenance of security equipment such radios, CCTVs, fire alarms and other installations is required. Previous working skills of communication equipment (VHF Radio, Satellite Phones, GPS tracker) is added advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree Qualifications in Social Studies, Administration, Security Management, Humanitarian/Refugee Affairs, and Disaster Risk
- HND and/or Diploma in the technical field or trade training in Electrical or computer Engineering, Mass communication, or telecommunications. Management, with technical capability will be considered.
- 1 to 2 years of working experience within a similar function or as a radio/operations rooms operator in with INGOs, the UN, or government or private sector.
- Basic web based mapping knowledge or GIS is desired.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the conflict and geographical context in North East Nigeria.
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri, Fulani or other local languages in Borno State is mandatory.
- Experience with start-up communications room
- Ability to remain calm and composed when faced which highly demanding multiple situations that require quick actions
- The ability to travel regularly to the field (by road or air) independently or on short notice.
- Flexibility to work outside standard working hours including at night and during the weekends.
- Report-writing skills and ability to make analysis of incidents and proactively source for information
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.